Rye bread is a German bread which is mainly wheat free and has many benefits.
I simply use it as an alternative to a regular loaf (my kids don’t buy into it though) and, because I like the taste of it. See this page for more info on how exactly it is beneficial to your health .
It is nice with other toppings such as avocado and eggs or cashew butter and maple syrup.
The ‘recipe’ below was inspired by my friend Rebekah after a meeting we had at her house where she set this delight on the table.
A simple little snack idea for you.
- Rye bread. I mostly use Biona which you can get in health stores or now in larger supermarkets. I buy the different flavours each week to keep my taste buds alive!
There are so many different types of rye and I cannot claim to be an expert, but see Jamie Oliver’s recipe for black rye bread if you want to make a loaf yourself.
2. Hummus. Homemade or shop bought. My local health store make a delicious fresh one, but equally whizz up your own using this recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi
3. Cherry tomatoes/ Any tomatoes sliced
- Slice of rye bread halved and toasted
- Spread with hummus when toasted
- Add chopped tomatoes ( In the image above I actually pan fried my cherry tomato halves in coconut oil to sweeten them)
- Season with salt and pepper before serving.
*To follow more of Aly’s posts and recipes please drop your preferred e mail address in the box to the right of your laptop or at the bottom of your mobile device.*