To call it a berry “tart” and define it as a “dessert” is me being a little flamboyant.
Really it’s a quick base with greek yoghurt and fresh berries on top.
Nonetheless they make a super dessert or afternoon treat, without the fake sugar rush.
- 1 cup almonds (soaked overnight in 1 cup water or for at least an hour- makes the base a bit more work able)
- 6 large medjool dates/ one cup of dates. Stones removed.
- 1tbsp cacao powder
- One muffin tin to use for moulding the tarts into their shape
- Cling film to coat the inserts of the tin to prevent the tarts sticking
Fresh berries (or mango slices or pineapple)
High protein plain yoghurt or Clandeboye greek yoghurt
- Drain the soaked almonds all but one tsp of water.
- Add to the mixer with the pitted dates and cacao powder
- Mix until it combines into a dough like formation.
- Add more water if needs but don’t let the mixture get sloppy
- Roll the mixture into golf ball sizes
- Press the ball mixture into the shape of the muffin tin insert. This makes it into a little tart shape
Place tarts into the freezer to set for half an hour – one hour.
Remove tarts from their muffin tin and add greek yoghurt and berries or topping of your desire.
I think they are best eaten on the day they are made. Although I have been known to keep them in the freezer for a few days and lift out as/when needed.